Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Tech Post #2


As I stated in my previous blog post, I have been wanting to try to make a Prezi. I personally think it looks nicer and is better than using Powerpoint. I had been put under the impression that Powerpoint was easier to use, but after exploring and creating a Prezi, I have to say I like Prezi more. When creating my Prezi the layout was simple and easy to navigate to find what I needed—the layout was clean and organized, I didn't have to search long for any tool. Each individual slide can be accessed on the left hand side, and on each slide are two text boxes that are easy to use. The text boxes have everything needed, such as font and formatting, right above the text box so it can’t be missed. Above the current slide being worked on are tabs that say “Frames and Arrows,” “Insert,” and “Theme.” When the mouse is rolled over these tabs, all the tools are condensed under these tabs and didn't make me search around for the basic tools I needed. One of my favorite tools under “Insert” is that it has a specific way for you to add YouTube videos: you click over “Insert” and then “YouTube video” and a box pops up to add the hyperlink. Once the hyperlink is entered, the actually video is transferred onto the site without having to leave the Prezi/slide.  Another aspect that I thought was interesting is a slide can be inserted into another slide. For example, on my slide 4, I added slide 5 into it, so that when I transition out of what was intended for slide 4, it zooms out and then back into the same slide, but to the content for slide 5. I like this idea because it holds students attention with the movement.

Overall, I’m really glad I tried this out because I had been weary, thinking it was going to be difficult. I like it so much more than Powerpoint and will be sticking to it! It’s a refreshing means to give information to the students without using the same program. I personally think Prezi also holds the student’s attention better because it’s cleaner, and it’s transitions will have students focus more because of the zoom in/out feature. The slides are meant for less information (in my opinion), so this may also help teachers by putting not an overwhelming amount of material on one slide. Also, it’s ease of use it better than Powerpoint with more updated resources, and I believe presents material better.

1 comment:

  1. Good work being open to explore a new tool. You did a good job figuring out the components.

    ReplyDelete